Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Birthday Thesis.

So I got asked to fill out a little survey to help a graduate student that is doing his thesis on the Red Dirt Music Movement. I thought it was kinda cool.

Oh, and happy 33rd bday to me!

How would you define Red Dirt Music?
It is definitely hard to define. Obviously Geography has alot to do with it. I would say that it does cross genre's... As long as the music is honest, true, and has some soul in it. It doesn't matter whether its rock, country, folk, or blues, as long as its honest.

Did you live in Stillwater? If so, when?
yep, 95-01

Did you attend Oklahoma State University? If so, when?
95-01

When were you involved in music in Stillwater?
from about 96-03'ish. Played all over Stillwater in different bands and played on the strip weekly with Cody, Jason, Stoney, Steve and others that were playing around.

What bands have you been involved with? And what was your role?
Well I'm a drummer/percussionist, and I started out in a band called Folsom. We were a bunch of guys from the panhandle. Boise City and Keyes to be exact. It was almost a Great Divide cover band, we did damn near their entire first album. But we got to open for them quite abit. Had a few gigs out in the panhandle where Cody would ride along and play guitar. Jason did a couple with us too.

I was in a few other bands around, none really red dirt. Then came along Jake Moffat, we played as Remede for a few years. It was really cool.

But while I would go out on the weekends with my bands, some of my favorite gigs were the weekly ones on the strip. At the point of graduating in 2001, I was playing 7 nights a week. And did that for almost a year until I got tired of it.

What bands were in Stillwater when you were there? Where did they play?
The Great Divide was rockin'. Medicine Show was twirlin'. Hosty TRIO was hippyin'. Farm Boy was playing around. Cody Canada just moved to Stillwater and started playing around. I met him at a divide show. Went to a few Rehearsals with him when Ragweed was just kinda getting started. Cody hadn't crossed paths with Jason yet. But soon did and then the Stragglers were born. Then came No Justice and Stoney. Brad Good and Shane McGrew had a band called Fishin' Naked that was opening for the Divide quite a bit.

There was Ian Moore, Reckless Kelly (who Boland wanted his band to be like). I remember them coming over to the yellow house for an after party. Crazy shit.

There was Another Roadside Attraction with Nathan Clewell and Matt Tedrow. They were good.

Of course All American Rejects we're playing at Mike's College Bar as a duo.

Wormy Dog, Wormy Dog Concert Hall, Mike's College bar, Chub's, Willie's, and the Copper Penny.
Oh and Joe's and the Tumbleweed of course.

What do you think was the most important venue in Stillwater for Red Dirt Music?
The Wormy Dog for sure for the newer guys. Everyone was able to cut there teeth, let loose, be honest, and just raise hell! Lots of lessons were learned in there. Bartenders became managers of bands, merch guys for bands, sound guys became, well... sound guys for bands. ;-)

Willies too, from waaaaay back.

In your opinion, who are the most important figures in the Red Dirt movement?
Bob Childers.
Red Dirt Rangers.
Tom Skinner.
Scott Evans, Brad James, and medicine show.
the Great Divide with Mike McClure
and then Cody, Jason, Stoney... and the others that kinda blew it open.

I know there were some before them, but those would be the most influential to me personally.


Red Dirt Music and Texas Country have recently begun being paired as Texas Red Dirt. Do you see these as separate styles?

Really, I think alot of it is just Geographical. They get paired up alot, I think, because both styles are USUALLY honest, pure, and true. I don't really see them as different styles. There are probably pockets of music all across the country that could kinda get bunched together.

What is it about Stillwater that encouraged the development of Red Dirt Music?
Everyone was just so nice and wanted to help each other out. There was no, my band is better than your band. It was just teach and learn and get better. Daddy O's, The Farm, and an afternoon in the back of Chubs... could be another lesson from another talented musician with a guitar around.

I think people really just appreciated the music as an artform. It wasn't about image, or what you looked like. It was about how the notes felt, and where they took you.

I think that is coming back to stillwater nowadays, for awhile there it seemed dead.

Are there other places that have developed a similar movement based on a location?
I think so... I know there is pockets in Idaho, some in Iowa and Kansas. I think alot of it is how the scene works... do the artists help each other, do they kind of have a brotherhood? Sometimes that has alot to do with it. Personally, if you don't have that, you will never create "red dirt" music.

There seems to be a great deal of mutual respect amongst the Red Dirt artists, why do believe this to be?
I think most of the guys realized early that this is what they were going to do with their lives. And they would just try to help out your fellow man that was going through the same thing. Its kinda just the golden rule really.. Just good people helping other good people.

unless you sucked. ;-)

Did you live at the Farm? If so, when?
No but did spend many a night around a campfire listening and grinning. Those nights were like Church to me.

Did you ever perform at the Farm? If so, when?
I played a congo or so every once in awhile, but not like a full band thing. But mainly was just a spectator/listener.

Describe the Farm. What makes this location so significant?
For me, I was young (19ish) and it was like the most peaceful place I'd ever been to. Its like you traveled back in time, into the 60's and 70's where real hippies were. It was so awesome to hang out there... I miss it.

Did you live at the Yellow House? If so, when?
I had a corner that I fell down in quite a bit.. on a hidden mattress behind the christmas tree. Never paid rent though. ;-)

Describe the Yellow House; your experiences and who lived there.
Holy shit. It was quite a place. Another side of paradise.... the dirty smelly side. But a paradise of sorts nonetheless. It was basically a place where some people went to class, some went to jobs, some didn't do much, but everyone partied. It was full tilt boogie quite a bit of the time. And then other times, it was business time... lets work on cleaning this place up and getting things done or a song written... then that would eventually turn into a party of some sort.

Most of my memories is just when Jason lived there with some other friends that he had, then Cody moved in.. Red was there, Ted.... numerous hobos and even a squirrel.

How important would you place the Farm, the Yellow House, Wormy Dog Saloon, Willies, the Strip, the Tumbleweed, and Eskimo Joes in the development of Red Dirt Music? Why?
Well, I consider myself lucky. Because those places not only developed Red Dirt Music, but they developed me as a person. Completely transforming my life into something that it would not have been if I had not came in contact with them.

I think the developement of red dirt music would've happened anyway without those places. There would just have been a different place that allowed everyone to mingle, communicate, celebrate, teach and learn. They might have had different names, but I bet they would've looked alot alike.

Many bands throughout Oklahoma and Texas have labeled themselves as Red Dirt artists. Do you see them as part of the Red Dirt movement, or do you feel that label only applies to artists with a shared experience in Stillwater?
I do think that the term "red dirt" has been applied to alot of people that don't deserve it, but I also think that there are alot of artists that have that label that stay true to ... I keep saying honest, but I think that is a key to it. I don't necessarily think you need to have been there for the experience, but I do think that you need to know the history... and know that Stoney's song "Crystal Eyes" is actually Scott Evans' song called "Steelheart". And that Bob Childers was the king. ;-)

Do you believe Red Dirt Music been accepted in markets outside of Texas and Oklahoma? Why do you believe this to be true?
I do, because some people can hear true, honest music when they hear it... and some, namely the public that listens to the radio or watches the top 20 countdown on CMT or MTV (if they even have that still) can't.


-------------------
If you were around during the time and want to share, Aaron Moore said to share it, so go to www.reddirtresearch.com and fill out this form.

Alrighty then.

KM

4 comments:

Ashly said...

Well played, sir. :)

Deb said...

Very well put!!!!

Red said...

I can write you up thirty pages on African American Agricultural Agents and their relationship to the county quorum courts in Arkansas during the 1930s without even breaking a sweat. But, I can't write about red dirt and Stillwater. My thoughts on the subject don't translate into written form. You did very well.

The Panhandleman said...

And it's conga not congo. I get people's name for me and the name of the drum mixed up. My bad, but thanks for the words. I thought I did pretty good.